I ask this question of the small/medium magazine publisher because I seldom see their websites or digital editions selling products. “But wait,” I hear you cry, ”I’m a publisher not a retailer.” In this post I’ll propose that you can be both and add incremental revenue with relative ease.
The secret here is what are known as affiliate marketing programs. Most large e-commerce sites have them and they work like this:
- You create an affiliate account with the retailer.
- Once logged in, you search for the item you wish to sell.
- The site will create a custom URL with your affiliate info embedded.
- You embed this URL in your digital edition or website.
- Your reader clicks on the URL and purchases the product.
- You receive a percentage of the sale.
As a digital publisher, you can add links almost anywhere in your digital presence. And with the large e-tailers selling everything from valve oil to vampires, your possibilities for embedding retail links are limited only by your imagination.
Here’s a quick example I came up with at the Edible Communities Conference last week. Click here to view a page from Edible San Francisco’s Winter Issue. On the left page in the body copy to the left of the photo of Chef Lam- click on the words truffle oil. Don’t be alarmed- that’s a case price.
I’d love to review your content with you and search for similar retail opportunities for you. Please send me an email and we’ll set a time. Until then, here are some links to some affiliate marketing programs: